Rube Goldberg machines are pretty cool. If you’re not careful, you could spend hours watching videos of machines which perform simple tasks in no less than twenty steps. Like this gif, where a series of household objects take nearly a minute to turn on a record player. Of course, when it comes to important tasks such as business processes, it’s important to remember Rube Goldberg machines are the fancies of a cartoonist who created them as jokes.
We’ve worked with companies who inadvertently created a “Rube Goldberg” solution to EDI integration. Most often the solutions are multi-step, multiple application solutions that create multiple points of failure, as is the case with most Rube Goldberg devices. A little research can help avoid those situations, and utilizing a proven solution rather than trying to build one can accelerate business improvement and digital transformation.
Look for these attributes to find an EDI solution that does not follow a Rube Goldberg approach…
- It’s a single platform – not a cobbled together group of technologies from various vendors.
- It doesn’t have to be created – it’s ready to work out of the box.
- It doesn’t require customizations in other applications to work properly.
- It stops bad data from being created that can create downstream problems for stakeholders and customers.
- Top notch service is available when needed to manage issues.
- It can do more than just EDI – it can handle many types of integration that enables a single platform approach for organizations.
Make sure you get these attributes-- and avoid common pitfalls-- by reading Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Selecting an EDI Solution
Some Rube Goldberg machines work, albeit slowly and with a lot of effort. When it comes to mission critical business processes such as EDI and B2B Commerce, simple and reliable is the best way to move organizations forward.
Data Masons has been delivering EDI Made Simple for 15 years by providing a unique, solution-oriented platform coupled with expert services. Data Masons improves company’s ability to execute business processes more quickly, accurate and at a lower cost – a key objective of Digital Transformation.
Please enjoy some of the machines other people have made, and if you’re getting dizzy from watching them, make sure you avoid the pitfalls of Rube Goldberg EDI by reading our white paper, Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Selecting an EDI Solution.